Active Reading and Assignment
In this lesson, you are going to actively read through the Text before working your way through the assignment questions.
You should print out a copy of the Text and have a highlighter, ruler and pen or pencil with you.
- In the first paragraph why does the writer say he doesn’t ‘know how time works any more’?
- Re-read the fourth and fifth paragraphs, in your own words describe the son’s personality.
- In the fourth paragraph, what do you think the father means when he says he feels ambushed?
- Re-read the fifth paragraph, find a simile and a metaphor and explain what each means.
- In the seventh paragraph, why does the father feel ‘sadness’? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
- Do you think the father is right to feel sad? Make at least three points to build your argument.
- In the third paragraph, the writer describes his son as a ‘sleepy ball of scrunched-up flesh’ – what language technique is this and what effect does it have on the reader?
- In the third paragraph, how has the writer used similes to create powerful imagery for the reader?
- Re-read the last sentence of the sixth paragraph, what structure technique is used here and what effect does it have on the reader?
- Re-read the final line. What structure technique is used here and what effect does it have?
- Re-read the last three paragraphs, what is the effect of the writer’s use of varying paragraph lengths here?
Re-read paragraphs 3, 4 and 5. How does the writer use language to describe his son? [12 marks]